Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Presenting Facts To Decision Makers

Writen by Lance Winslow

All too often in presentations those giving a presentation to the decision-makers will in fact talk too much. The decision-makers have summoned the presenters to discuss with them their proposal to help solve a problem of the decision-makers. The decision maker or decision-makers did not call upon the presenters to give them a three-hour lecture on every single aspect of the situation or scenario.

The decision-makers are well aware of all aspects of the situation and have only asked for certain information. Overloading or confusing the issue will not help the presenter's case and it often upsets the decision-makers because they feel their time is being wasted.

I always found it amazing as the CEO of my company that people giving me presentations and advice would assume that I am an idiot. In fact, often the more I listen to the presenters I would become disgusted on how little they really knew and how their opinions were based on nonfactual information and limited knowledge of the subject. This use upset me that I was going to be paying so much money for someone that knew so little.

Sometimes I got to the point that I would tell him exactly what I wanted. Tell them I don't want them to think just do exactly what I say and do not deviate at all. If you are giving a presentation to a decision maker and they say something similar to that, then it is because you talk too much. Please consider all this in 2006.

"Lance Winslow" - Online Think Tank forum board. If you have innovative thoughts and unique perspectives, come think with Lance; www.WorldThinkTank.net/wttbbs/

No comments: